Hot Cross Buns fresh off the bakery stand may be delish, but there is something about homemade. Maybe it’s the aroma of spices that fills the kitchen? Or the love that goes into kneading the soft dough? Or freshly baked, piping hot straight from the oven? If you have always put the thought of baking Hot Cross Buns in the “too hard to bake basket“, I have an easy hot cross buns recipe hack for you!
Simple, easy and delicious! You will have your whole family asking where did you buy these hot cross buns from?
The hack to an easy Hot Cross Buns Recipe? A packet of Bread Mix! Just add some spices, chocolate and dried fruit. I skipped the typical dried fruit of currant, raisins and citrus flavours, to have some fun with white chocolate and dried blueberries instead. If white chocolate and blueberries are not your thing you could simply replace with dried fruit or chocolate of your choice. Sounds easy right? Scroll down for the recipe and happy Easter baking!
White Chocolate & Blueberry Hot Cross Buns
- Prep one packet of Spelt Flour Bread Mix as per instructions on the box with yeast provided and the addition of water required as noted on the box. Before you begin kneading the dough add in 1/3 cup of raw caster sugar.
- Halfway through kneading bread mix add dried blueberries. Continue kneading process
- Towards the end of kneading add chopped white chocolate (mine actually all melted in oops 🙊)
- Once kneading is complete divide the dough into approx 12 pieces. I weighed each piece of dough out to around 80g- 90g each.
- Rest dough as per instructions noted on the bread mix packet. Then proof as noted on bread packet instructions. I proofed in brownie pan with 12 pieces fitting perfectly.
- After the dough has been proofed, mix together flour and water to create a thick paste. Use a piping bag, pipe hot cross bun lines on the dough.
- Cook in a fan-forced 200 degree Celsius oven. Baking time around 30mins, till they are nice and golden looking.
- Once baked remove from the oven and brush the tops with honey for the glaze.
- Enjoy straight away or enjoy later! But trust me they are most delicious nice and warm with melted butter!