Recently I had a little chat with the lovely Jewels talking all things Milk and Cookies to travel..
1. Hi Jewels, thanks for chatting on the blog today. You are the amazing woman behind Milk + Cookies By Jewels and a mother of two young girls. Can you tell us a little more about yourself?
I’m Jewels – that’s actually my nickname my bestie gave me in year 9 and it kinda stuck. When it’s serious it’s Julia, otherwise you will always know me as Jewels.
I love reality TV, enjoy a good goss with my girlfriends, live with my heart on my sleeve, try so hard to live life with the perspective that “the cup is half full” and had strong cravings for balsamic vinegar in both my pregnancies.
I’ve learnt more about myself since becoming a Mum than ever before. The dark PND cloud which overshadowed post partum has turned out to be such a positive. It’s given me such insight into myself, my own strength and brought about the beginnings of Milk & Cookies by Jewels
2. How did the idea Milk And Cookies By Jewels come about?
Milk & Cookies by Jewels started because I was that Mum struggling with the daily grind of early motherhood. I needed something just for me. Something that required myself to switch hats and focus on a task other than being Mum 24/7.
The simple task of creaming butter & sugar and baking for some local Mamas was such a joy. In my mind back then, it was nothing more than a hobby that I found myself enjoying. Fast forward to now- WOW!!! The momentum & love I have received from so many woman around Australia has been just phenomenal.
3. Not too long ago you launched the Eat, Sleep, Breastfeed, Repeat Mugs and a complete change of packaging to signature style white tins. What is next for Milk and Cookies By Jewels? Where do you see or love the business to go in the future?
Oh gosh, I just love our EAT, SLEEP, BREASTFEED, REPEAT mugs! Because it’s #TRUTH. I hope it puts lots of smiles on faces every morning.
The move towards the signature white tins was two-fold. I really wanted the packaging to represent what Milk & Cookies by Jewels was all about – a luxe product, a delicious cookie, a pamper item. I want every Mama to feel special with their tin & their products. The postpartum period is tough yacka & I hope that their delivery makes them feel supported and a little spoilt. The second reason to extend shelf life and be able to be stocked in shops around the nation.
I literally live & breathe Milk & Cookies by Jewels. My dream with the support, testimonials, word of mouth and social media support of all my beautiful customers, to make Milk & Cookies by Jewels bigger than BIG. Online presence & word of mouth within mother’s groups is so powerful. Thank you to the women who continue to be my advocate it is so, so appreciated.
4. Between being a mum of two young and running a thriving small business, how do you find balance between it all?
Balance, yep something we are all continually striving for. My goodness I question this every single day. I haven’t found the answer because I’m not sure there is one. I think what helps me best is to not try to do Mum & biz at the same time. When I’m with the kids, I try my best to be soley focused on them and likewise give the business my full attention and focus that it deserves.
I’m learning to “go with the flow” – motherhood kind of does this to you ey?! (and to think I used to be a perfectionist & a bit of a control freak)… I laugh at my previous self now. I’ve also learnt to let go of some stuff and ask for help.
5. I would have to say my favourite flavour lactation cookie is Double Choc Cherry and the Lemon Bliss Balls! Yum! Now tell us what is your favourite flavour cookie?
I’ll always have a soft spot for Chocolate Chip because it is my original and best seller but my favourite, White Choc & Macadamia. Something about the white chocs with that cookie dough (sooooo yum… I take a bite and then I want another… and another…. )
6. Lastly we have seen your cookies go travelling with you from Europe to Byron Bay, lucky cookies! Any future travel adventures planned? What would be your dream destination?
Our family would love to get up to Queensland for quick family holiday later in the year. We love it up north. The sun and sand is just amazing, just a stark contrast to my grey winter sky that I’m typing this today.
It’s been so much fun taking the cookies, mug & tins on adventures! My idea of a good holiday is warmth, sunshine and swimming with the kids.
Holidays within Australia will suit our young family perfectly for the coming years but Croatia, another visit to Thailand and the Bahamas wouldn’t go astray!!!